Skip to content

Choose one of three locations


(08) 8231 1363


(08) 8395 8000


(08) 8487 0150

Victims of Crime Claims

Sometimes, you can be unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Maybe, through no fault of your own, you’ve been physically or mentally injured in the course of a crime being committed. Your injuries may have required treatment, maybe even rehabilitation. You may have experienced trauma and you may have ongoing pain and suffering because of your ordeal.

It’s not fair that you should have to bear the cost of the injuries in addition to everything that you’ve gone through. There may be medical expenses, time off work and you may need to recuperate from ongoing distress. The cost can really add up.  And chances are that even if the person who committed the crime is caught, there’s probably no likelihood of getting any compensation out of them.

The Victims of Crime (VOC) compensation scheme has been set up to help people who are injured by a criminal act. The good news is that it’s not the seriousness of the crime that determines how much compensation someone gets; it’s the seriousness of the injuries.

That can really give great peace of mind in otherwise traumatic circumstances.

Choosing the best path to compensation

We have experienced compensation lawyers who can advise you whether VOC compensation is the best avenue for you or if another type of compensation would better suit you. For example, your bag may have been snatched while you were walking to a work meeting. You may have been shoved to the ground and you now have a shoulder injury as well as ongoing anxiety about being in public spaces.

It may be that you would be entitled to more compensation if you made a claim for workers compensation rather than VOC compensation.

Because our team at Websters Lawyers has experience in a wide range of practice areas, we can advise you about VOC compensation as well as any other areas of law that may apply to your situation. Whatever your legal need, we have someone who can help you. It’s a seamless legal service and we’re proud of it, because we know how enormously it benefits our clients.

The most important thing is to speak to an experienced compensation lawyer as soon as possible.

How it works

There are two ways that a VOC claim can be successful:

  1. The offender is caught and is prosecuted. The offence is proved beyond reasonable doubt and a conviction is recorded.
  2. When the offender hasn’t been caught, a claim can be still be made, although the victim has to prove that their injuries were caused by the crime.

For claims arising out of incidents that occurred between 1 September 1990 and 30 June 2015, the maximum amount of compensation is $50,000. For claims arising out of incidents that occurred on or after 1 July 2015, the maximum compensation is $100,000.

The amount of compensation depends on the seriousness of the injuries (rather than the seriousness of the crime) and there are new rules that allow spouses or domestic partners to claim compensation, as well as the children of the victim in certain limited circumstances.

Make a claim at no cost to you

If your claim is successful, the legal fees involved in making a claim are paid by the Government. This means that you won’t be out-of-pocket for your legal costs.

If you are uncertain about whether you can make a claim, what is involved or whether it is worthwhile doing so, please contact us to arrange a free, no obligation consultation.

When you choose a lawyer you need to be absolutely sure that not only do they have the knowledge and skills you require, but also that they will provide the level of service you expect. That’s why Websters Lawyers offer you the chance to have a free initial consultation with an experienced VOC compensation lawyer.


It doesn't cost you anything to know where you stand

*Please note: Websters lawyers is a South Australian based law firm, handling matters exclusive to South Australia, with offices located in Adelaide, Ridgehaven and Smithfield.

Subpage form
What is the best time to call you? *
Scroll To Top